Monday, June 26, 2006

"...jangal-ika yamane..."


"Jungle" is (appropriately) an ancient Sanskrit word. About 75 km Southeast of Mysore there are national parks with animal sanctuaries, jungle, and tribal peoples. CK and I had been discussing going and the feasibility of getting a car. If you take a car, you have to put the driver up for the time you are there - which seems amazingly quaint (it is less than two hours from Mysore).

We had thought about taking our scooters but wondered about the roads. An Irishman-yogi went last week and told me that the drive on his motorcycle had been beautiful and the best part of the trip. [He also told me that his bike was charged by a 'tusker' (male elephant) when the Irishman was trying to take pictures and his bike seat ended up gored...] I decided to tell the first part of the Irishman's story to CK and when Saturday and moon day were back to back this past weekend we went! Our destination was Water Woods (waterwoods.net) which has a special for yoga students in which a shared twin room is rs 3500 per person per night and includes 3 meals, a jeep safari in the jungle and a boat safari to an island with temple ruins from 1200 AD.

The way to the lodge went from the noise and smell of Mysore to silence, clean air and timeless views of shepherds with goats and farmers tilling with yoked ox (or whatever bovine they are). We stopped twice; once to get petrol, and once to get something to drink. Both times we drew a crowd of men and children (the women must be working). We got the distinct impression that western women on scooters in their villages were not that common. We were like TV. The top speed of my scooter is 50 km - downhill slightly higher. This trip gave me an understanding of the phrase "full throttle." I tested the machine's limits. I am now calling it "my hog." This map shows the Kabini River Lodge in relation to Mysore - that lodge is within 500 meters of Water Woods.

Water Woods Lodge was very nice. We had a view of the Kabini River from our bay window. And we had the lodge to ourselves so they wanted to know when we wanted lunch. At around 5 pm, we went out in the jeep and saw deer, monkeys, Guar (wild jungle cattle!) and - the big treat - elephant cows with a calf that crossed the road in front of our jeep.

The photo on the left shows the two females protecting the calf between them while considering crossing the road. Note: I waited until we were on the safari seeing elephants to tell CK about the Irishman's tustle with the tusker. The guides seem to have a special awe for tuskers. We saw one go swimming in the late day heat.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice report. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Matrika said...

kiitoksia, t-om, I went to look at your blog and found that it is in Finnish... which I do not know. But I was able to figure out that you are an Ashtangi. There are several Finns here in Mysore at AYRI right now - as you may know... I have attempted to entertain them with the very few things I know how to say in Finnish, such as, "pieni porsas!" (what I use to call my childhood friend's brother Jussi). I like like finding out who is reading my trip blog...

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, usually people know only some swearwords in finnish:) Pattabhi & co are going to Finland next month btw. I'm not, was thrown out of India (visa expiration) so escaped to Sri Lanka for a while. Hoping to get back soon; the weather has apparently already cooled down a bit there in Mysore. February was beginning to be all too hot for this body at the end so moved it to the cool mountains of Tamil Nadu for self practice.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home