Sunday, June 18, 2006

asanas...

My ankle continues to heal. A couple of days ago I removed the bandage. Pashasana hurts. It may just take a while to be 100%. I have let go of that being while I am in Mysore (I leave July 1). In the meantime I am making a little flip-card book of what various people say about each asana in the primary series so that I can better understand what is behind different adjustments - and disagreements about alignment. An obvious one is that Iyengar's Adho Muka Svanasana (down dog) has a concave back - while Guruji and Sharath's are convex. This difference is echoed in several forward bends and is interesting because certainly a lot of advanced astangis have pretty flat - as opposed to convex - backs (Tim Miller, Richard Freedman, David Swenson come to mind). I would think that remaining flat or concave is more important than the depth of the forward bend for back safety...

Tonight I don't have my camera with me or I would share some pictures. Lately, I have been going to the "Southern Star" in the afternoons to read and do my asana notes. This is a western style hotel that was once actually named the Southern Star and is now the Regaalis. It is a western oasis with a pool surrounded by mostly western yoga students (many in bikinis) resting, reading, etc. I realized today that I like it because it is insulated from the dirt, fumes and sounds. It is kind of a guaranteed un-eventful afternoon.

I came home early today and the landlord let himself in yelling my name - because he wanted to say something to the maid. I came out of my room and he was in my kitchen saying, "J - what is the problem?" I told him I was working and went back into my room (mind you I have rented a full two bedroom apartment - not a room in their house). Then later the landlady knocked on my window and said, "Open the window!" She wanted to show me some pictures. I told her they were nice but I had to read. Then the maid came in and asked for money (she is paid by the landlord but it is not enough - he was complaining that he pays her rs 300 a month). I was told that it was part of my rent when I got this place. I did not know then that a tiny mid-70's lady who spoke no English would arrive with a filthy rag and wipe every surface in my apartment (without hot water or disinfectant) and then work on my laundry by beating it with a rock... until my leotard lost all its will to fit... and then start asking me for extra money every other time I see her. I cannot say "no" to her because she is the poorest woman I have ever known and she is working very hard doing things I that wish she wouldn't do... and she is old. Today she swept my bedroom. I was on my bed reading. She came over and pantomined that she needed food. I gave her rs 100. She then kissed my forehead and rubbed my arms, legs, hands, and feet at which point I managed to namaste and pantomine that I wanted to sleep. I could no longer concentrate on what I was reading. It is one thing to deal with begging on the street. It is another to deal with it in your room from a woman that you vaguely feel you owe but whose services you do not want. To say I did not want her would mean she is suddenly without the income from my landlord for cleaning my place.

I am extremely uncomfortable with the whole maid system. Yesterday my landlady came in while the maid was cleaning and watched her the whole time telling her what she was doing wrong. At the point where one has an employee who one must watch continually - what is the point of an employee? Status is the only thing I can come up with. Anyway, I am gauranteed more privacy and respect because I am working when I am sitting on a chaise lounge at the Southern Star than in my own apartment with the front door locked, all the windows closed and the door to my bedroom closed and lying on my bed!

The next time I come I have resolved that I need to set these ground rules:
1) NO maid.
2) NO entering my locked apartment without prior permission.
3) NO knocking on my bedroom window to chat.

When I arrived here I was very nervous about being a woman traveling alone and about offending because I did not know the culture. Next time I need to establish that I need lots of time alone to work. I don't know how a married couple can have marital relations. Perhaps if I had a husband here they would be leaving me alone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matrika: do not stress your self out by the maid system. Think about how many people are getting by because of one person. Privacy as defined by US standards does not exist in India or most older cultures. The locals would feel that they are disrespecting you if they do not talk to you daily. You should tell the landlord that he has to agree by your groundrules. Once it is set then it is easier to deal with the infractions :-).

On a lighter note. We just got in and are busy eating mangoes and trying to get over jet lag!

Tomorrow I will go into the city to get a few small things done for the parents.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Thanks PSU, you are right, I need to have a talk with them. I hope you get over the jet lag soon... I found the 9.5 hour time difference very difficult.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Dr Disco said...

I feel for you, that's a horrible situation... hope that you can set those groundrules, if you need some back up just call Dr D.. Only not on my Cell phone, obviously.. :)
x

5:47 AM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Shakti tomorrow sounds good Dr. D... also at some point I would like to quiz you about your supta kurmasana theories...

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home