Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Using rickshaws...


Sharath announced this morning that his family will be going for a pooja in Guruji's village on Friday. There will be a led class tomorrow (Thursday) and no class Friday and no class Saturday (as usual). Perhaps this is an opportunity to get out of town and away from diesel fumes. We will see.

Today I decided to get a light bulb for a table lamp. I like to read in bed. I have been here long enough to know this would not be easy on my own. I showed the rickshaw driver a business card on K T road. He asked me "Come back?" because, of course, he would like me to go and come back so he can make the fare both ways. I showed him the little 40 watt bulb and said, "If I find this, yes, otherwise I walk around all day." This motivated him to help me find a place that sells these bulbs - and this guy is a rather enterprising driver. He drove me in and asked for me at two stores and found it for me and drove me back... I of course gave him a good tip.

Above is a picture from our drive in the rickshaw into city center. These auto-rickshaws have three wheels and the ability to squeeze three across a space that - in the states - would be considered a two lane road. Technically they should only carry 3 people. But this seems to only apply to westerners.

Here is a picture of 6 school girls in a rickshaw with all their bags hanging off the meter....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matrika:

Not sure where you are located. But Kalidasa Road has a number of stores where you can buy these kinds of little things. Especially in the store next to the temple. Thanks for the picture. We will be there in a few days.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Thanks for your advice... I had tried to get a lamp there but could not. Also, it is a strange little bulb... So you are coming to India? Perhaps we can have coffee at Coffee Day on Kalidasa and have a spirited debate about our cultures! Perhaps I could invite Dr. Disco and CK as well...

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more the merrier... and all that ;-)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home