Saturday, June 03, 2006

A Talk with Sharath...

On Friday I went to my first led practice. The woman next to me had one of those practices that only a dancer can have. Everything had a flourish. She was also doing things like supta kurmasana without using her hands to put her legs in place and jumping into all the janusirsanas.

My ankle got worse after doing full primary in mysore class with all the half lotuses on the right side. So I decided I had to not do any half lotuses on the right during the led class. Everything went well through supta kurmasana. Each time I had to do a half lotus on the right (such as Marychiasana B and D) I put my sprained ankle on the floor instead of in lotus. Then, for garbapindasana, I put my left foot in lotus, turned my right knee in but not in lotus and started to put my left arm through. Sharath, who was standing next to me, his arms folded across his chest said, "Put your right leg in lotus." I pointed to my bound right foot (see photo for a recreation of what he saw). He made a circular motion with his finger indicating again to put it into lotus. I said, "It hurts." He said, "Then stop till finishing."


So I sat and watched... which was interesting. And Sharath was right about my not hurting myself. As you can tell from the photo, he was pointing out the obvious. If hurt; be hurt - even if I am in Mysore. If I were home I would not be pushing it.

I am sure he sees this a lot.

In sirsasana, I was thinking a little too much and thought, "...well, it could be worse. I could live in that tiny reed hut that my maid lives in... with no water or electricity and use the area out back as my toilet. Born a woman into a society that would definitely prefer a boy baby."

My problems are trivial.

On a much nicer note, I met C.K. and we went to a craft exhibition (that had some beautiful Tamil jewelry) and then to the Southern Star and had chocolate cake!

On further reflection on the led class experience, I have realized that I can now be lazy until I hopefully heal! Just kidding... I will focus on my bandhas or something.

If you have read this far, let me describe an image. There is a 1951 black and white movie "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sims that is aired every Christmas on television in a lot of English-speaking places. In it, at the end of his visit, a now aged Ghost of Christmas present opens his robes to reveal two thin, impoverished children. It is a stark visual that keeps coming to mind since I arrived in Mysore. From the Dicken's Novel:

"They are Man's,"” said the Spirit, looking down upon them. "“And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased."

10 Comments:

Blogger Ursula said...

Oh, I was shocked when I saw your legs. Get well soon and take it with homour.

I'm curious about your next posts.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Lees Lamar said...

Egads the legs....

That is my favorite Christmas Carol version.
That is a powerful scene, and such truth.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch.....

Take care of the legs... see if you can get hold of something called Moov (it's an indian remedy with oil of wintergreen) - I used it last week when i was at my mum's when i strained my neck and it seemed to work.... not sure if it was positive mental thiking or what.... but it seemed to work.

And my friend Abby is in town... she should be starting parctice tomorrow at the shala so you may meet her then.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, take care of those legs! Hope they get (and look) better soon.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Yoga Chickie said...

Oh my!! Why all the bruising? I just started reading your blog...did you have an accident? Or is that from Garba Pindasana?

If you're bruising that badly, see if you can add some pineapple into your diet - I hear that helps. And try to lay off any anti-inflamatories, like advil and aspirin, as these thin the blood..making for easy bruising...

Lauren

9:52 AM  
Blogger cij said...

I wish you bon courage, I hope that you're still able to get a lot out of your time there. So far it certainly sounds like your keeping the chin up!

Cheers-cij

11:28 AM  
Blogger Dr Disco said...

Hi Matrika sorry about your legs! I am a friend of Reena, staying in Krishna house just up from the shala.. hope you are enjoying your time here... My name is Abby hope we meet up maybe at Tinas or Shakti?
all the best
Abbyx

9:49 PM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Thank you all for your kind wishes.... Ursula, I am about to post another entry for your reading pleasure, and I think there is humor (or allegory) in the incident. Samastitihi, yes and even though it was done in 1951 they made the movie in black and white which somehow makes that scene more memorable. I am trying to look for an auruvedic doctor to see what I can do for it. Perhaps he will have that. It is hard to get some non-Indian things here. Yoga Chickie, I got the bruises and the sprained ankle from falling into (and desparately fighting to get out of) a 7' deep sewer in Mysore. I write about it in "Cholera, Diptheria, or Hell?" I do not usually bruise like this. CIJ, thanks for your best wishes. Yes, I am keeping a stiff upper lip and all that. Actually it is giving me a chance to watch Guruji and Sharath teach and watch the other students... which is of course very interesting... and Dr. Disco, you have met me but it would not be fun if I did not let you figure out who I am!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Yoga Chickie said...

Oh my! That is terrible! I am going to read that post now...I hope you are feeling well!

Lauren

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bruises Jennifer!!!!
Ahhhh!!!
ingrid

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home