Saturday, May 27, 2006

Cholera, Diphtheria, Hell?

I went out in a rickshaw to find an internet cafe to email my parents - so that they would not worry. I had several small adventures on the way but on the way back I managed to fall into a sewer, losing my glasses, a shoe, wrenching my ankle and almost losing my passport, money and credit cards in my fanny pack.

But this was good because getting out required a feat of upper body strength that I did not know I had! This was probably motivated by my feet dangling, my head at street level with traffic going by and having no idea of how deep it was below me... perhaps, I considered, reaching all the way down to my unseemly death. Itripped, and when I finally landed, instead of being on the ground, I was doing an iron-cross pose in a sewer... I screamed and drew a crowd. Apparently men stand around at night in Mysore. This blonde woman in the sewer was interesting. Many things were said in Kananda-ish. It was 10pm on a moonless night. I was the entertainment. After my amazing feat of strength to get out, with the help of a kind gentleman with matches and a stick, my glasses and shoe were retrieved.

The rickshaw driver who pulled up a foot away from my head and watched the whole thing asked me if I wanted a ride and then told me - through a translator - that he would charge 3 times the meter. Then the translator wanted 5 rupees as well. I said "no why would I do that?" and I limped away with them staring at me in disbelief. I limped in a huff... very slowly... a block away to where my reputation had not been.... sullied... and I got a rickshaw driver who wanted 10 rupees over the meter. I think he unfortunately saw the limp. I agreed to this and he returned me to my apartment where, after bathing, I used that 32 oz of Isopropil Alcohol that I had brought in two zip locked bags. The bottle said it was not to be used over large areas of the body, but, I decided that had the writer known he would have added, "unless you have fallen into a sewer in Southern India". Then I put antibiotic/antiseptic cream, band-aides and anti-fungus/anti-ringworm cream on my hands and feet and thigh which all had scratches. All of this first aide I had thought I was probably paranoid to bring.... My right foot swelled up so I elevated and iced my foot (my apartment fortunately has a refrigerator). No yoga for a couple days. Hopefully Monday I will be good as new...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kali Om said...

Mon dieu! I just read your post. Please call if you find yourself near a phone (I unwittingly walked in human feces on Sunday and share many of your fears).
CK
9945399506

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home