Sunday, June 25, 2006

Talk with Landlady...

I spoke to my landlady about her coming into my apartment daily without knocking. It took about a half hour with a lot of my saying, "do you understand?" and her saying "no." Finally she told me that she understood. The next day she told me that she would only come in once a week but that she had to do that because she had to check the maid's work because she is paying the maid. [As I said in a previous post - next time no maid.] She told me that if I were home and I did not want her to disturb me, I should bolt the door as well as lock it so that she is unable to come in. Ok. Fine. I have gotten that this is a culture that does not understand privacy... so this is a good compromise. The landlady also said that she had talked to one of her friends about it and her friend said, "Oh you must never disturb the yoga students! They go to bed early, get up early, and sleep in the nude (gasp)!"

Before I left home I said to K (one of the yoga teachers from my area) that I hoped I would not be lonely in Mysore. She laughed and said, "In Mysore you are never lonely."

On an up note... later today I have my first rolfing session! It is less expensive here (as is everything) so it is within my reach... and many people have recommended it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your writing which is hilarious, enlightening, sometimes sad and definately informative. first blog which has appealed to me....hey--how long did it take you to hear back fromn AYRI? I sent a letter off about 5 wks ago. will keep reading for you stories, pictures and information gathering for my own trip, which will hopefully be towards the year's end.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Boodiba said...

Did you go see Ken (rolfing)? He's really good.

One time I was walking around in my Lakshmipuran apartment in my bikini - was getting ready to go to the pool. The maid opened the door and put her hand to her mouth in a good simulation of a Victorian gasp. I, naturally, started laughing.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Thanks, Anon. I was told by a friend not to expect a response from the Shala, so in the letter I said that I had been told by my teacher that their shala is an excellent place to study yoga and I politely asked if I could come to the shala to study yoga and my anticipated beginning date. Then I wrote that if I did not hear from them that I would assume that there was room for me. Then I thanked them for their kind attention and said that I was very much looking forward to studying there. One is suppose to enclose a passport picture. I did not get an answer, which I felt a little nervous about despite what I had been told.

When I arrived and went to register I said to Sharath, "Hi, I am here to register." He said, "Did you contact us before?" and I said, "Yes, I wrote a letter 6 weeks ago" and he registered me.

Boodiba (L!)- well... long time no hear from. Yes, I went to Ken. I will go again tomorrow. I did not find if more painful than, for example, being squashed in pasimottanasana before I was as flexible as I now am. This is my first bodywork of any kind. I did feel exhausted when I came home... I have checked out your blog from time to time... and it seems to be about this new guy a lot... Do you have a return-to-Mysore time-table yet? BTW, I went to Sheshadri when I first arrived... before I sprained my ankle... great group and fascinating adjustments...

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home