Wednesday, June 21, 2006

who this blog is for...

I am writing this blog as a record of my experiences. I have spoken to most of the bloggers here. So far all have felt - at some time - the need to not say things because we will offend if we frankly say what we see and feel. Before I came to Mysore, I was convinced that I would be able to travel here alone as a western woman because of other women's blogs. All these blogs discussed sanitation, the poor, the maid system, and being treated differently because they were women. I am very thankful that these blogs gave me an idea of what to expect, what to wear, and how to act as a western woman traveling in this country.

A western woman coming to Indian for the first time (if she keeps her eyes open and reads) will not only personally be treated differently if she is not with a man, she will rapidly find that wife burning, dowry deaths, shunning widows and abandoned women, unreported rape (because of dishonor), aborting female babies, and many other crimes against women are routine here. Frankly, I care more about bluntly warning women of my culture (and men of my culture) than cow-towing to Indian men who flame me to intimidate me to shut up like a good woman...

Indian men flaming my blog is just, to me, a sign of how angry some men in this culture can get when a woman has the power to: 1) speak, and 2) delete what they say. This blog is not for them.

A dog will chase its tail and become more and more angry because it does not catch it. No one else cares that the dog's goal is hopeless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Soapwalla Chef said...

i am thankful for your bluntness, as i will be traveling alone through india in a few months.

peace.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Man,

I am sorry to hear that, your hypothesis is proved by visitors to your blog.

Since, there is a risk of my response being deleted, I keep my comments to myself :)

I agree with certain things and disagree with many things you blog. But then, blog is to write up your first impressions.

goodluck with your writing.

Vignesh

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Man,

I am sorry to hear that, your hypothesis is proved by visitors to your blog.

Since, there is a risk of my response being deleted, I keep my comments to myself :)

I agree with certain things and disagree with many things you blog. But then, blog is to write up your first impressions.

goodluck with your writing.

Vignesh

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even many Westerner's don't appreciate the freedom they have--it's such a given for them. You have freedom to speak, dress, live where you want, and take risks etc... Thank you for your blog. Sorry for those not born in countries that recognize the sanctity of human life and what it takes to keep freedom intact.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home