Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My Hog and Remaining Equanimous


Mysore has a motor bike culture. In Gokulam, in the Shala community, the men have motor
cycles and the women (who have them) have motor scooters. To the left is a typical man's bike - and below is my feminine "scooty". Like a girl's bicycle, the scooter allows one to ride in a dress (or saree) with one's legs demurely closed in front while the motorcycle puts an engine between a man's legs. A few days ago a girlfriend and I watched an Englishman Ashtangi ride away on a scooter and we both agreed that he must be very secure to be riding a 'girl's bike.'

Mysore ladies wearing sarees sit on the back of their husband's bike side-saddle with their hands folded in their laps. The man and woman do not touch. Still, this is considered very intimate and you do not go on the back of a man's bike unless he is your husband, father or brother - lest you become dishonored. A western woman is different. I conveniently don't have this type of honor.

For me, driving a motor bike on the opposite side of the road than I am use to, in a city that makes New York traffic seem orderly - has gone outside my comfort zone. But the sprained ankle made it necessary. Now, as a result of the sprained ankle, I can drive around the round-abouts, beeping, weaving and... remaining equanimous.

On a 3 hour bus ride back from Bangalore last night I was asleep sitting next to the window when I awoke - eyes still shut - and realized that the man to my right was feeling my breast.

Now - as background - I have to mention that a few weeks ago there was a poll taken by one of the weekly magazines here that found that a majority of Indians feel that a just punishment for a man raping a woman is for him to be forced to marry her. This is because she has been dishonored - as has her family and there is nothing worse than dishonor (even being married to a rapist). Also, I did a blog entry called Men Staring a while back and Anonymous was nice enough to comment with a link to a site about "eve teasing". While looking into eve teasing I read the advice that if you are with women you can make a scene - but if there are only men around you cannot be sure of the reaction if you humiliate the man.

So, I weighed, do I open my eyes, slap him and make a scene at 10:00 at night on a bus with almost all men in a culture I do not understand and in which I am an outsider? As I considered my next move with my eyes still shut, he was trying to put his hand inside my bra. When I was asleep he must have picked up my shawl that was crossed in front of me, gone under the Kamzee top and now was moving his hand very carefully into my bra still trying not to wake me up. I decided not to pick this battle and turned "in my sleep" so that I was facing the window (away from him) and put my hands under my cheek as a cushion, and, conveniently, this meant that my right arm was across my breasts.

Because of the distorted definition of honor that makes a man's behavior towards a woman the woman's responsibility not the man's, rape is rarely reported here. However, just because I did not feel safe making a scene does not mean I have to be silent now. Also, as a warning, if you make a comment telling me what I "should have done" I will delete it. He is the one who should not have done something. I was asleep. And I remained equanimous; he does not deserve more and I do not deserve less.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now - as background - I have to mention that a few weeks ago there was a poll taken by one of the weekly magazines here that found that a majority of Indians feel that a just punishment for a man raping a woman is for him to be forced to marry her"

Do you have the link for this?

Vignesh

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I am sorry about this disgraceful episode. I do not know what to say.

Vignesh

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So, I weighed, do I open my eyes, slap him and make a scene at 10:00 at night on a bus with almost all men in a culture I do not understand and in which I am an outsider?"

Thats all would have taken for the lowlife to be beaten to pulp. Though it is easier said than done, I am pretty confident of the outcome. I have seen that happen manytime before. I don't know why you think all men would think and act the same. I am sure many people around would have easily grasped your situtation and beaten this guy or the bus driver typically drives the bus straight to the police station.

But then it is easier said than done.

Vignesh

1:23 PM  
Blogger Tiff said...

Wow, I'm so sorry that happened - I'll have to be very weary when I go to mysore.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time. Just get up and loudly say do NOT touch me. Do not describe in detail what has happened to all and sundry but just say that some man was touching you. It is a problem that most of us with daughters encounter. Age is no bar. In future, if possible at all, try and sit next to a lady or if the bus is fairly empty put you bag there and thread your hand through the handle so that it is not stolen without your knowledge. Also, cover your front with your dupatta which would ward off the mosquitos too and tuck in the ends tightly. Also, try and not travel too much by the lowest vehicles. It is dangerous especially if there are drunks on board.

Take care

10:04 PM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Thank you all for your concern. Reena - I am looking forward to meeting you. Tiffersll, the area near the main shala is rather sheltered. Also, if you travel with a husband or boyfriend you will be treated differently. In general in the daytime in Mysore I feel safe. In public crowds, women seem to stand together and men stand together... standing with the women is wise. I dress very conservatively when going out beyond Gokulam alone in a sawar kameez with a high neck and a shawl (called a dupatta) that I wrap around my neck - and sometimes around my head because I have medium blonde hair and that stands out. From asking the other students I have found that the dark-eyed, dark-haired, or dark-skinned women are bothered less. The one exception seems to be very fair-skinned women with very dark hair. This is the look that all the bollywood stars are after. Also, the muscley, tall, ashangi women get bothered less. I unfortunately am a petite, fair, blue-eyed woman traveling without a man. Vignesh, no, I did not read it on-line. It was in a magazine in a dentist's office. It was called something like "India Week." As PSUMysore mentions, I think men may become more aware of these things when they have a daughter... and I think this awareness is probably true everywhere - and what a man becomes aware of varies with the culture. And I feel that change happens when many fathers' desire to see their daughters treated well... Each of us can change the world by saying 'no'

10:40 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I'm so sorry about your experience.

When I was in Mysore I was travelling with my best friend who is very blonde and blue eyed. We think the only thing that really saved us from any harassment is the fact that we're both 5'10" and therefore quite physically imposing.

I did have one encounter in the market though with a man who wouldn't stop following us and attempting to grab my bum. Market vendors saw what was going on and told us to get away from him as he was "dangerous."

After about 15 minutes of him following our every move I just started yelling at him very loudly in the middle of the market and this solved the problem...of course, this was in the busy marketplace, but in your situation on the bus, well....it sounds like you handled it with a great deal of grace and courage. I don't think I would have reacted as calmly as you...well done.

Love your blog and its honesty.

--A

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out this blogger's project http://blanknoiseproject.blogspot.com/

It's a project against leching, staring, groping, whistling ...against women on the streets.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly lady, you have such presumptions and assumptions about India and Indians! Riding on a moter bike with husband, father or brother only - huh!! Where did you get that from?

8:00 AM  
Blogger Matrika said...

Anonymous... I did not say India, I said Mysore - which is where I was in India. And the advice about the motorcycle came, the first time, from a woman who was born and has always lived in Mysore. I then looked around and saw that, yes, a woman does not go on a motorbike with anyone but a relative. What an unpleasant reaction to an entry where I was touched by a strange man... perhaps some pent up rage against women you need to work out?

4:19 AM  
Blogger Gowri said...

I am woman from Mysore and have ridden a bike. Not majority of them do. I have done this more than 10 years back and am guessing that the numbers will have gone up.

As far as groping and so on... it always happens. The way I used to react was to just scream or even slap the guy

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home