Thursday, July 13, 2006

Guruji's Birthday



The date of Guruji's birthday changes from year to year because it is held on a full moon. The first couple hours they had a pooja while students and family watched. The pooja was several men in a circle chanting and throwing ghee into a fire. An Indian woman next to me said that they were thanking for long life and so forth. Guruji sat in the background. If I had not know, I would have thought that it was a celebration of Sharath's wedding anniversary because he and his immediate family were the center of the event. He sat behind and watched. Sharath's daughter led a group of children in running around. After the pooja, the students were fed in shifts in the basement. This meant waiting in line for almost two hours. I left the line three times to do three errands. I was slightly sick from the food - as were a few others I have heard of. So, it was interesting to see the pooja, but I feel I have now been and will not feel I need to go to another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home